FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Fast-hit ideas and notes across the New England Patriots and NFL:
1. A particular Mom’s Day: When Angie Edelman answered the telephone Friday afternoon, she was minutes away from boarding a flight for what was really a shock Mom’s Day weekend deal with. She was en path to Ohio to observe her son — Tremendous Bowl MVP Julian Edelman — stroll in Kent State’s commencement.
“I used to be shocked. I solely discovered two days in the past,” Angie stated.
The receiver, who initially joined the Patriots in 2009, tweeted Thursday that he had promised his dad and mom he would end his diploma. Angie and Frank Edelman had careworn to him that a diploma would supply him larger alternatives at any time when his enjoying profession ended.
Angie knew Julian had been working towards it, however she wasn’t conscious how shut he was to finishing his research as a enterprise administration main. So the concept of spending Mom’s Day weekend in Ohio wasn’t on her radar. The journey got here collectively rapidly.
“Could not be prouder. Proudest mother on the planet,” Angie stated.
— Julian Edelman (@Edelman11) May 11, 2019
2. Participant cuts hit Bielema onerous: Former Wisconsin and Arkansas coach Bret Bielema, whose second 12 months with the Patriots in 2019 will embody the expanded duties of main the defensive position, informed me Friday that he had by no means actually thought of a transition to the NFL up to now. He described himself as “residing within the second” and somebody who simply “loves teaching,” earlier than including: “The world of faculty soccer has been nice to me for a very long time, however final 12 months I undoubtedly loved sure points. Clearly, should you go to the Tremendous Bowl and win it, you are going to love that experience. I sort of received spoiled with the primary impression. However there’s undoubtedly issues I miss about school soccer. … One of the humbling moments for me final 12 months was once we needed to reduce the roster. In school, when you might have a participant that’s eliminated out of your program prematurely, it is normally by actions they selected. Now within the NFL, with restricted roster spots, you are working with a man and abruptly there’s simply not room. I really needed to go take a second and sit in an workplace — you might have an attachment to gamers; it is tough.”
three. No jersey quantity solidified for Harry: When Patriots first-round decide N’Keal Harry took half in Thursday’s introduction for the crew’s high decide with house owners Robert and Jonathan Kraft, he held up a No. 1 Patriots jersey, per custom. Harry’s look sparked the query of what jersey quantity the broad receiver really will put on in New England (he was No. 1 at Arizona State), however coach Invoice Belichick, not surprisingly, is in no rush to assign it. Just like final 12 months, when Belichick gave all rookies jersey numbers from 50 to 71 within the spring, it sounds just like the plan is to do the identical factor this 12 months till the beginning of coaching camp.
four. Particular-teams items a pack of wolves: In a “behind the scenes” function on the Patriots’ “three Video games to Glory VI” DVD, a shot of special-teams coordinator Joe Choose working in his workplace exhibits the next motivational saying on the wall: “If You Name One Wolf, You Invite the Pack.” On Friday, I requested Choose the place it originated. “A number of years in the past, speaking with the special-teams items, a few the fellows referenced how wolves hunt when it comes to how we cowl kicks. That is at all times been one thing that has resonated with the group — everybody depends upon one another. We must be robust individually, however that is going to make us robust as a gaggle. So we’re really working as a pack, and should you’re difficult certainly one of us, you are difficult all of us.”
• Cam’s birthday wish list: Get healthy
• Raven’s draft-day aid to tornado victims
• Steelers’ WR transformation underway
• Chargers rookie Adderley has big legacy
• New targets to help evaluation of Mariota
5. Judge’s unique double dip — special teams and WRs: Friday’s news that Judge is coordinating the Patriots’ special-teams units and serving as wide receivers coach puts him on a track to better position himself for future head-coaching opportunities. John Harbaugh, who was hired by the Ravens in 2008, is the most recent special-teams coach to become a head coach — which reflects how franchises are reluctant to look in that direction. If the Patriots didn’t think highly of special-teams assistant coach Cameron Achord, it’s hard to imagine them exploring such a unique double dip with the 37-year-old Judge, whose work as an assistant to Nick Saban (Alabama) and Belichick has helped provide him a solid foundation in coaching.
6. Big year for Rivers — on and off the field: This is a big year for 2017 third-round pick Derek Rivers, the team’s top draft choice that year (No. 83 overall). When I caught up with him Wednesday as he volunteered his time to create a special experience for 150 students with disabilities, he relayed that his spouse, Lauren, is due with the couple’s first child any day now. They’re anticipating a son. In the meantime, Rivers is hoping to ship as an end-of-the-line-of-scrimmage participant for the Patriots in 2019 after a quiet first couple of seasons with the membership. “Reward God, I really feel nice,” he stated. “God has blessed me extra than simply with bodily capability, however psychological and spiritually.” One factor Rivers talked about was that whereas some have stated it takes two years to return from a torn ACL (he missed the 2017 season due to the harm), he felt as if he was again by final 12 months’s organized actions.
7. Scar’s offseason examine on Wynn: Offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia informed me Friday that a part of his offseason work included going again to observe 2018 first-round decide Isaiah Wynn in coaching camp practices earlier than he tore his Achilles tendon in August. In doing so, it was strengthened to Scarnecchia that Wynn is a “actually good soccer participant” and the crew remains to be excessive on him as a high possibility at left deal with. As a part of that dialog, although, Scarnecchia famous Wynn isn’t but cleared for on-field drills. With insurance coverage in thoughts, the membership most likely feels lucky that veteran offensive deal with Jared Veldheer was nonetheless obtainable after the Tuesday compensatory-pick deadline.
eight. Did You Know: No crew ran down the play clock greater than the Los Angeles Chargers in 2018. That was what Patriots professional scout Steve Cargile, as proven in “three Video games to Glory IV,” relayed to the defensive teaching workers main into the AFC divisional-round playoff recreation between the groups. It was Cargile’s method of explaining that the Chargers weren’t a fast-paced offense, and that defenders — greater than dealing with another crew — needs to be ready for the play clock to be near expiring earlier than the ball is snapped.
9. Rodney Harrison in Patriots Corridor of Fame, however what about Canton? With Harrison profitable a fan vote to earn induction into the Patriots Corridor of Fame in 2019, it sparked a query of his Professional Soccer Corridor of Fame credentials. Longtime NFL reporter and present Corridor of Fame voter Clark Choose of the Speak of Fame Community was gracious along with his time in explaining a number of the dynamics in play which have stored Harrison from turning into even a semifinalist, not to mention a finalist.
Place had been missed, creating latest glut: “We traditionally have been blind to safeties, and that modified in 2017 when Kenny Easley grew to become a senior inductee. Then final 12 months Brian Dawkins goes in. In order that’s 2-for-2. However earlier than that point, the final security to go in was Paul Krause, in 1998. He is the all-time chief in interceptions. So we’ve all that point and now we’ve Ed Reed this 12 months. … With Rodney, you simply do not hear that a lot discuss him, partially as a result of we’ve different candidates. Steve Atwater is a first-team all-decade security who made it as a finalist this 12 months for a second time. Then you might have LeRoy Butler, one other first-team all-decade security. John Lynch has been a finalist the final six years. And looking out forward, [Troy] Polamalu comes up [in 2020].”
Nearer take a look at his candidacy: “Rodney has to get some individuals speaking about him. He is some of the productive guys on the market — first [safety] to have 30 sacks and 30 interceptions — and was named to the 50th anniversary crew with the Chargers and Patriots. He is a disruptive power and in addition produced when it counts essentially the most — 9 playoff video games, seven interceptions, two sacks. So what’s holding him again? I believe different individuals, the actual fact there was a blind spot in the direction of safeties, and let’s be sincere, there was this sense he had been a grimy participant. I am not saying I really feel that method, however he did accumulate plenty of fines. Perhaps this Patriots Corridor of Fame will get him some consideration, so we begin to re-evaluate him, as a result of the résumé speaks for itself.”
10. Tippett’s 25-year anniversary: On Might 12, 1994, future Professional Soccer Fame linebacker Andre Tippett introduced his retirement from the Patriots, and it was on that day that he was named director of participant assets. After I talked about the 25-year anniversary of working with the Patriots after his enjoying profession, Tippett turned to humor in referencing an previous Virginia Slims slogan: “I’ve come a great distance, child!” Tippett has most lately served a protracted tenure because the crew’s government director of neighborhood affairs, and after I requested what he is most pleased with over 25 years, he stated it has been “being a part of the good work the Kraft household has been a part of from a philanthropy standpoint.”